Guide: Joann Sondy
Chicago Architecture is an invaluable gift for an Urban Sketcher. Rarely can such a variety of schools and styles be seen within walking distance of each other, and sketched in just a few hours. Architecture Sketching Tour will do just that. No drawing instruction will be given during this tour.
The tour will begin with the Fine Arts Building, and will make 20-30 minute stops at the following destinations:
- Chicago Club
- Van Buren Metra entrance
- Auditorium Building/Roosevelt University at Congress Street
- Buckingham Fountain
- North President’s Court with Michigan Avenue wall as background
The group will return to Van Buren Metra entrance. If time permits, we will include Metropolitan Building and Motorola Building at Jackson & Michigan.
Tour guide will lecture on Chicago architecture, the city’s history, and the relationship between the commerce of the Loop and Grant Park.
This workshop will require a lot of walking. No drawing instruction will be given during this tour.
- interpretation of architecture styles, elements, and overall design
- connecting to Chicago history and development
- practicing architectural sketching skills for perspective, scale and capturing the “big view” versus details
- favorite drawing medium (pencil, charcoal, pen, iPad & stylus)
- small frame like an empty 35mm slide frame (optional)
- portable stool (optional)
To view more of Joann’s work, please visit joannsondy.myportfolio.com/my-sketchbook.