Instructor: Don Yang
Note: This is a two-part, all day workshop (breaking for lunch), for artists with oil painting experience.
Students will learn how to effectively capture the sense of fleeting light, color, and atmosphere in an urban environment using oil paint.
There will be two main emphases in this workshop. The first will be the fundamentals of sketching outdoors (regardless of medium). This will encompass such fundamentals as sound composition, color harmony, convincing drawing, sketching outdoors environment, and so on.
The second emphasis will deal with the painting methods and techniques specifically related to the medium of oil paint and other auxiliary oil painting materials, tools, and the set-up necessary in outdoor oil sketching.
- tools and set-up of outdoor oil painting
- choosing the subject for dynamic outdoor composition in oil painting
- capturing the spontaneity of light and color in a fast-changing, outdoor light
- unique tips and methods related to capturing the sense of light and air in outdoor painting
- portable paint box (simple pochade box or French easel)
- oil paints, brushes, solvents, canvas panels, palette, palette cup, paper towel
A detailed list for the specific colors, brushes, canvas panels, etc., will be provided to the registered participants prior to the weekend.
See more of Don’s work at www.donyang.com.